Doctors in UK

I saw this in one of the website.. When I was in UK, I could not understand their system as well and only knew that doctor at ST2 level has to get MRCS or MRCP to get into ST3..

Now the myth is solved!

Hi, just want to clarify on this bit

Specialty training in the UK has been revamped. And currently there are different strata one has to go through.

Previously, fresh out of medical school one occupies a post as a JHO (junior houseofficer) and eventually moves on to become a SHO, a post one languishes in till you pass your fellowship exams, and recognized as SpR.

Of late this has been revamped. After medical school one starts as a FY1 (foundation Yr 1 doctor), and completes FY2.

Then starts Basic specialty training (BST), which is ST1 and ST2. One passes the MRCS, and other similar exams to complete the BST. Once completed, you will be awarded a certificate of completion of basic specialty training (CCBST). At this stage you are a surgeon in training.

Then things become tricky. One has to compete for a national training number (NTN) which are limited by different deanery and regions in UK to follow up with Higher specialty training (HST) – ST3 – ST6. One attempts the FRCS at ST4 – ST6 on varying subspecialties, completing all being conferred the CCST (certificate of completion of specialty training) and eligible for a consultant post.

In Malaysia currently, general surgical training is offered by UM, UKM, and USM. Training is structured, and candidates are mature on completion. The level on completing the MSurg is much higher than the MRCS (which has decoupled exams and training).
At present, the Malaysian Urology Council is affiliated with the Royal College of Surgeons Glasgow, and the Urology exit candidates are awarded the FRCS (urol) Glasgow. The other subspecialties are yet to be affiliated with the RCS.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , ,

About LWJ

A doctor in Hospital Sultanah Aminah Johor Bahru (HSAJB).